- This event has passed.
Seedlings Garden Club for Kids
April 7 @ 9:00 am - 6:00 pm
PROJECT: Strawberry Salad Bowls
STRAWBERRY, BABY LETTUCE & PEA VINE SALAD WITH STRAWBERRY BALSAMIC SYRUP
1 head baby red romaine, small inner leaves only
1 head baby butter lettuce, small inner leaves only
handful pea vines, cut into edible lengths with a scissor
1 pint ripe, local strawberries, hulled and halved lengthwise
2 baby cucumbers, trimmed and sliced
½ small red onion, skinned, and sliced paper thin, preferably on a mandolin
fresh mint springs
handful of culinary-grade pansies, violas, or nasturtiums, optional
black pepper, in a grinder
- Prepare Strawberry Balsamic Syrup, Lebne Crema, and Honey Mint Vinaigrette. (Making this salad is a breeze if you have these components on hand in the fridge. So make ahead if you can.)
- On each large salad plate, smear a generous spoonful of Lebne Crema down the center, and drizzle Strawberry Balsamic Syrup to either side of it.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss lettuce leaves (left whole) pea vines, strawberries, cucumber, and onion with enough of the dressing to lightly coat the salad.
- Arrange salad on each plate, tuck in fresh mint sprigs and pansies if using, and grind pepper on top.
- To eat, drag each bite of salad through the bottom of the plate, for a symphony of flavors and textures.
Makes 2 salads.
HONEY MINT VINAIGRETTE
You won’t need all of this dressing, but it’s great to have on hand for other salads throughout the week.
Ingredient Note Another fragrant honey can be used here; wild huckleberry or blackberry are also very good. You choose.
¼ cup best-quality white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons wild flower honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
several fresh mint leaves, minced
1 clove garlic, peeled, and minced
fine sea salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper
¾ cup cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil (or half-and-half combination of olive oil and vegetable oil)
- In a small mixing bowl, combine vinegar, honey, mustard, mint, garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Whisk to combine.
- Add oil, and whisk until emulsified.
- Use immediately or refrigerate. Bring to cool room temperature and whisk again just before using.
Makes about 1¼ cups.
½ cup labne (soft yogurt cheese)
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- In a small mixing bowl, combine labne and salt.
- Refrigerate until needed.
Makes ½ cup.
- April 7
9:00 am - 6:00 pm